Warning About E-Cigarettes & Pets

(BVA Press Release) Following reports that a puppy in Cornwall has died after biting into an e-cigarette refill, vets are warning pet owners to ensure they are kept out of reach of animals.

British Veterinary Association (BVA) President and vet Robin Hargreaves said:

“This is a tragic case and very worrying when you consider how many people are now using e-cigarettes. Nicotine poisoning acts very quickly and can be fatal, especially when large doses are involved. E-cigarettes and refills can easily contain sufficient quantities of nicotine to kill a small animal very quickly.

“If you use e-cigarettes, we recommend storing all equipment safely out of reach of your pet. If you suspect your pet has chewed or eaten an e-cigarette or any toxic substance then it is vital that you contact a vet for treatment as quickly as possible.”

ecigarrette

BVA understands that the female puppy was a recently rehomed Staffordshire cross (above).

She became unwell on Sunday after apparently consuming an e-cigarette refill and passed away on Monday morning after failing to respond to treatment.

For more information and advice from vets on animal welfare issues visit the BVA website.

Share

Comments

  1. […] Read the full article here […]

    Posted by Is modern day living harmful to our pets? | Serendipawtous on: February 18th, 2014 7:01 pm

  2. […] Read the full article here […]

    Posted by Is modern day living harmful to our pets? | I-dog-atry on: February 18th, 2014 7:04 pm

Add a Comment




Hire Me

My professional services are specifically designed to help each business or individual achieve their goals.
Read more »

Marc the Vet's Canine Care iPhone App

Packed with features to help safeguard your four legged family friends.

Available from the appstore
Pets in need

Pets in Need by Marc Abraham


Vet on Call: My First Year as an Out of Hours Vet!

Vet on Call by Marc Abraham


Join me on Facebook

Latest Tweets